The motion sensor monitor is one of the most essential components of home security. The motion sensor monitoring system is one of the systems that make up home monitoring.
The motion sensor monitor is important as it complements other smart security devices. For instance, what cameras cannot detect in blind spots, the motion sensor monitor can. The motion sensor can also be used in non-security home automation.
To give you an overview of the importance of this device, below is an overview of the motion sensor monitor. Its variations and uses will be covered.
Variations of Motion Sensor Monitor Technology
A motion sensor monitoring system might use a different unit from another system. The reason for this is that there are different kinds of motion sensor monitor.
They have the same purpose and functions. But, units use a wide range of technology used in detecting or recognizing movements. Different forms of energy are used among different models of the motion sensor monitor.
Here are some of the types of a motion sensor monitor:
1. Passive Infrared Motion Sensor Monitor. A passive infrared motion sensor monitor is an interesting type of motion sensor. It senses moving entities by detecting infrared radiation.
For this reason, it can only sense living objects that emit heat out of their bodies. Thus, this device cuts down instances of false alarms. This is because non-living objects usually take up only room temperature.
This type of motion sensor monitor does not emit energy to detect objects. Rather, it detects energy, particularly infrared radiation. This sensor can easily spot infrared energy as it usually stands out of room temperature.
2. Microwave Motion Sensor Monitor. Some models of the motion sensor monitor also use microwave radiation for detection. These models of motion sensor monitor emit microwave radiation. They can sense the movements of objects by measuring the microwave pulses that reflect off the object.
These models of the motion sensor monitor are known to have two main disadvantages. First is that electrical interference can affect the measurements. Second is that these types of motion sensors are expensive.
3. Ultrasonic Motion Sensor Monitor. The ultrasonic motion sensor monitor does the same principle as the microwave model. It emits pulses of energy and detects motion by measuring the reflection off objects.
But, the main difference between the ultrasonic and microwave motion sensor monitor models is the type of energy that they use. The microwave model uses microwave radiation. The ultrasonic model, on the other hand, uses ultrasonic waves. Ultrasonic waves are sound waves that have a frequency high enough to be heard by the human ear.
4. Cameras with Motion Sensor Monitor. Some units of motion sensor monitors are not stand alone smart devices. But, rather, they are only a feature of another smart home device. Such types are usually found in security cameras that have a motion sensor monitoring system.
The purpose of the motion sensor monitor in security cameras has to do with saving storage space. One whole day of footage can take up so much storage space.
The motion sensor monitor allows the camera to record only when it senses moving objects. This would save space in storage. In addition, it would also save you time by letting skip through the boring bits in the footage. This would allow you to look directly at the part of the footage where the action is happening.
Uses of the Motion Sensor Monitor
The motion sensor monitor is an essential home automation device. This device has functions that other smart home devices cannot provide.
For instance, security cameras have blind spots. But, these blind spots are almost non-existent in a motion sensor monitor. Some models of the motion sensor are so powerful that they could detect motion as far as 12 meters away.
Here are some of the uses of the motion sensor monitor inside the smart home:
- The Motion Sensor Monitor in Security. The motion sensor can be a valuable addition to the security of a home automation system. This device could help you detect unrecognized movements around your home. Once it detects unrecognized movements, it could trigger the alarm and alert you.
- The Motion Sensor Monitor in Automation. The motion sensor can also be used to automate devices in your smart home system. Some homeowners use the motion sensor monitor for light automation. In this setup, the motion sensor will detect movement that entered its field of detection. Then, it will send signals to the smart light bulbs to light up automatically.
Vera Control can help you build your very own home motion sensor monitoring system at home. If you are interested in building your very own smart home, check out the products available in our shop