Home Automation has come a long way from the unattractive boxes of years gone by. Long gone is the notion that clients do not care much about aesthetics. Nobody wants to look at an ugly set of wires all the time, and design is crucial. We shall do a candid review of the Z-Wave Sensor, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Best Z-Wave Motion Sensor Reviews
The idea of smart homes has become very popular, and thousands have joined the bandwagon, and have gone a step further and are using the Z-wave motion sensor. You can automatically turn on your lights by a simple handclap, or have doors that open once they sense motion.
Z-Wace motion sensors detect humidity, temperature, water, etc. The best Z-Wave Motion sensor reviews include:
1. Z-wave Plus Easy Install with Pet Immunity Motion Detector (PIRZWAVE2.5-ECO)
The Z-wave Plus Easy Install PET Immunity Motion Detector is one of the best performers when it comes to Z-Wave motion sensors in the market. It sells for approximately $32 and includes premium parts, with the available modes being security and automation.
- No installation hassles and you can easily mount it, with options of the mount at corners or flush mounting.
- If you buy amount at corners, the package includes wall brackets. When powered up, the sensors learn their environment, plus the various sensors passing through it.
- The sensor is small and lightweight, weighing about 136gms or 4.8 ounces, and you can hide it. The battery will serve you for a long and gives you a five-year guarantee.
- One of its best features is the pet immunity feature. It does not give false alarms triggered by pets, but pets below 25kgs.
- It uses the C-Type batteries, which are not readily available
- To adjust the motion sensor’s response time, you have to switch to ‘Test mode.’
- When you change the response time, it causes the batteries to consume more power.
This sensor is quite affordable with its features and compatibility with various smart home setups. If you own regular pets, you will appreciate this sensor.
2. ZOOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor ZSE40
The ZOOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor is another excellent Z-Wave sensor and boasts of 4-in-1 features. It detects light, temperature, humidity, and motion, and ranges below $37, which is a great bargain.
- This sensor boasts seven levels of motion sensitivity and has three modes to choose from for temperature or motion notifications.
- In the event of a low battery, the device alerts you of charging or replacement.
- The device has an in-built sensor for tampering, which sends an alert in case anyone tampers with the sensor intentionally. When using VERA controllers, you do not need to worry about compatibility, as it is a perfect fit.
- When using an alarm panel such as a Wink controller or ADT Pulse, it might not work as intended. This sensor does not accept multi-level commands, thus the difficulty in fitting ZOOZ with these devices.
- This sensor is not supported by smart panels such as Nexia, Wink, ADT Pulse, Vivint, or Piper
- This sensor can only be set up with a Z-Wave hub that is compatible with it
- Its motion detection may give too many false alarms
This sensor is for anyone who can program it using its codes. Programming is easy if you are not a newbie, and its coding is very predictable as well.
Best Z-Wave Multi Sensors
I recommend the following as some of the best Z-Wave Multi Sensors in the market. They have several sensors and perform several functions at once.
The best of the sensors is the Aeotec Multisensor 6, which has:
- 6 sensors
- USB and battery-powered
- Indoor and outdoor use
This sensor also senses temperature, vibrations, humidity, UV and light,
The best value for money being the Fibaro Motion Sensor, which has:
- Four sensors
- Powered by Battery
- Only indoor use
The Fibaro sensor also senses vibrations, temperature, light as well as motion.
The best budget pick sensor being the MonoPrice Motion sensor, which has:
- 4 Sensors
- Powered by battery
- Indoor use only
This sensor can also sense temperature, light, and humidity besides motion.
Multi-Purpose Z-Wave Sensors for 2022
When searching for a multi-purpose Z-Wave, you need to consider the quality of the device, its cost, and the review other users have given the device. The best Multi-purpose Z-wave sensors for 2022 include:
- Samsung SmartThings Smart Home Hub 2nd Generation
This sensor connects wirelessly with different smart devices such as speakers, locks, sensors, lights, thermostats, and more. Use the SmartThings app or Amazon Alexa to control your smart home.
- Aeotec TriSensor, Z-Wave Plus S2 Motion
3-in-1 motion, accurately sensing up to 23 feet and detects temperatures, and its battery power is up to 1 year.
- OOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor ZSE40 VER
This sensor has four sensors and detects temperatures, light, and humidity levels. It would be best if you bought a compatible Z-wave hub, which is sold separately from the sensor.
The improved version includes a CR123A battery that allows the sensor to last longer. It has seven motion sensitivity levels, will enable you to adjust the interval for motion re-triggering, and choose between four LED modes of indication. The sensor has bank-grade AES encryption, which is Z-wave Plus certified.
- Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor
This sends phone alerts if your window or door opens. You also get notified if you forgot to close your windows or doors. It needs a SmartThings Hub, SmartThings app, or a compatible device with a SmartThings Hub functionality. It is compatible with Google, SmartThings, Google, Amazon Alexa, SmartThings, and Zigbee communication protocol.
- Aeotec Multisensor 6 with Battery, Z-Wave Plus
This sensor senses humidity, light, UV, temperature, and vibrations. Its two batteries can last up to 2 years, or it can be powered through USB. It is very tiny, measuring 1.65 inches, and you can install it on walls, shelf, ceilings, or in a corner.
Having a smart home will soon be the norm. Technology is advancing fast, and motion sensors for smart homes are becoming smaller, more intelligent, and more pleasing to the eye.